[Geany-Devel] Drop GtkStock and use symbolic icons

Dimitar Zhekov dimitar.zhekov at xxxxx
Fri Oct 11 17:08:00 UTC 2013

On Fri, 11 Oct 2013 02:14:59 +0200
Yosef Or Boczko <yoseforb at gmail.com> wrote:

> The icons in Stock is icons in some sizes, not SVG.

GTK_ICON_SIZE_* do not specify any hardcoded pixel sizes.
You can patch Geany with GTK_ICON_LOOKUP_FORCE_SVG, if you want.

> The symbolic icons is SVG, better polished.

A common misconception. An SVG icon in today's 100-120 DPI displays may
look better, or worse. Google for "TTF hinting", and consider that
there is *no* hinting for SVG.

If the vector icons were always better, PNG-s in specific sizes would
have been deleted long time ago.

> Note: also for the symbolic icons have a themes.

The stock icons are entirely theme dependent.

> As I sad:
> „The icons in the menus and in the buttons in the dialogs isn't add any
> information.
> I not think the 'OK' icon is add information there isn't in the string „Save”.”

You cite yourself as if your personal opinion is somehow more valuable
than anyone else's opinion.

> GTK+ 2.24.0 released in 2011, soon we are in 2014.

Debian stable + testing:

Packages dependent on GTK+ 2.24: 1930.
Packages dependent on GTK+ 3.8: 676.

> Also the widgets with image in a menu is deprecated (GtkImageMenuItem, for
> example), and also the function to create a buttons with Stock item is
> deprecated
> (gtk_button_new_from_stock() and gtk_image_new_from_stock() for example).

What's next, no menus and window titles because of the mobile devices?
If Debian starts forcing this stupid crap, I'm switching to KDE.

--
E-gards: Jimmy