[Geany-Devel] splitwindow2

Thomas Martitz thomas.martitz at xxxxx
Fri Oct 11 11:25:54 UTC 2013

Am 11.10.2013 13:12, schrieb Matthew Brush:

> I just mean that the study of such applications is not new, like some
> canonical texts such as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_Patterns,
> specifically 2.1.
>
> We also have all of those that came before, like borland, ms, anjuta,
> vim, emacs, eclipse, gedit, mousepad, netbeans, qtcreator, xcode, and
> 42.0 billion more examples, many of which we can study their source
> code or even overall architecture and see some good/bad ways to code
> stuff.
>
> For something more concrete, maybe take Cocoa's document architecture;
> https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/DataManagement/Conceptual/DocBasedAppProgrammingGuideForOSX/Introduction/Introduction.html
>

> It might not be Geany-style C, but a lot these ideas are known and
> used elsewhere, probably even inherited from the first link. I just
> suggest we could copy some of them too, rather than looser ad-hoc
> coding :)

I think you should formulate your specific vision for Geany, perhaps on
the wiki or so. It doesn't help me if you list projects or books which I
could possibly look at (which I'm not gonna do because it would take
ages to grasp their model and consider advantages and disadvantages)
because I don't know what's so horrible about status quo. As a result I
lack motivation to evaluate alternatives.

Best regards.