[Geany-Devel] Ping on Bug #943 - windows build command

Dimitar Zhekov dimitar.zhekov at xxxxx
Tue Oct 8 17:28:27 UTC 2013

On Mon, 07 Oct 2013 12:28:49 -0700
Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:

> > [...]
>
> Any chance you could find time to review and test Geany's implementation
> to see if anything looks fishy?

I can simply test FiF with regex = ".", which will generate a lot of
output quite fast. Without the SYNC_SPAWN patches, build.c and search.c
async executions are identical (except that build checks if the
returned pid after successful spawn async is > 0, but still sets the
channels if it's not - I wonder why).

> GTK+ 2.22 is over 3 years old by now, FWIW.

I'm using 2.22 under win~1 too, and don't think it will have any
problems with async exec, but we'll see.

> OT: Do you have any idea how to make g_spawn_async_with_pipes() to not
> open a "Command Prompt" window on Windows? My new plugin filters the
> document text through a subprocess very often and the popup console
> windows are super annoying :)

A win~1 .exe header contains a value which indicates whether it's GUI
or console (or something else). For any console executable, win~1 will
open a console automatically, unless one already exists (i.e. running
grep from cmd will not open a new console). It's not really a "command
prompt", unless you start it with system() or via cmd.

What you can do is run the executable in a mimimized [console] window.
Creating a shortcut with "window = minimized" may affect the execution
even if you run the .exe instead of the .pif or .lnk, and if it doesn't,
you can try to run the shortcut, but I'm not sure the CLI arguments will
work properly that way.

Last, you can create a small GUI subsystem wrapper which runs your
console application with CreateProcess(), and use either the creation
flags or the startup information to hide or minimize it.

--
E-gards: Jimmy