[Geany-Devel] Ping on Bug #943 - windows build command

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Sat Oct 5 14:06:31 UTC 2013

On 05/10/2013 14:59, Nick Treleaven wrote:
>>> spawn that doesn't block Geany or outright hang. This definitely
>>
>> It would be nice to figure out *why* it was hanging and fix *that*
>> problem though, not just drop the existing workaround code and write 3rd
>> workaround that's arguably worse[1] than the original issue.
>
> I did try.

In fact I wasted about a week trying to fix it, reading windows API
docs, reading forum threads etc.

>>> happened very frequently when using dmd from dlang.org. See:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/geany/geany/commit/a3664fae9ece396952d732cc937e63192d8c6f76
>>>

>> I don't remember seeing any bug reports for this, so it's possible it's
>> limited to you or the specific application you were using, maybe a bug
>> in a certain version of DMD? The commit messages doesn't explain what
>> the actual root of the problem was or why it could not be fixed
>> properly, or what was tried to fix it before abandoning the existing
>> code.
>
> It was last year, but I think it wasn't just with dmd, although that
> triggered it the most, and it only happened when dmd wrote more than a
> certain amount to stderr (cascading errors). It was very suspicious that
> the custom spawn code works until there are too many errors, at least
> with dmd.

One person reported it on the devel list. See:
http://lists.geany.org/pipermail/devel/2011-July/004845.html

Unfortunately I missed that mail at the time, but I tried the provided
fix before committing my system() change, and I remember it didn't fix
all the issues with blocking and/or hanging Geany I had.