[Geany-Devel] Intro

Thomas Martitz thomas.martitz at xxxxx
Sat Oct 5 09:20:03 UTC 2013

Am 05.10.2013 11:11, schrieb Mark Robinson:

> Hi All,
>
> Just a note to introduce myself. I am Mark, an old-timer coming from
> the world of Fortran. My interest in Geany is to use it as a platform
> to introduce specific functionality to help me and others in my line
> of work.

Welcome!

> I’ll be requesting an additional file type (additional lexer I have
> written) be added to Geany, but thereafter I expect most of the
> functionality will come in the form of a plugin (I am writing one of
> these as well). I am not a strong user of C/C++, as I said procedural
> Fortran is my forte, and this is my first plunge into contributing to
> an open source project, so expect some dumb questions.

First of all, we have an upstream first ideology, partly because we
don't have the resources to extra maintain patches for the projects we
use. That means that if you write a lexer you should post that to
Scintilla upstream, so that it will land into Geany when we update our
copy. Then we can accept the filetype definition as well.

Secondly, I think it might actually possible to write plugins mostly in
fortran (although I'm not sure Fortran is a suitable language for this,
I know nothing about it) with a little C boilerplate code. But GCC
allows to call C functions from fortran doesn't it?

Best regards