[Geany-Devel] [Geany-devel] Separating session file lists from config (again)

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Mon Nov 18 23:14:54 UTC 2013

[...]

> >> 1. Project and user session file formats should match to allow the
> >> same code to store both.  The fact that the storing the current
> >> project in the project session file is not needed doesn't matter.
>
> It looks like a good idea, I agree, but we need to keep on allowing to
> save user-wide settings when a project is open.  I mean, we shouldn't
> save all settings changes to the project settings just because one is
> open, the user might want to change a general setting.
>
> I think this was discussed one day already, and I think it should be a
> separate thread.

I said **session** file format, not the config files, as you say ATM the
only change to config should be to remove the session info.  All further
changes are indeed another topic.

[...]

> > Old Geany couldn't read it since it's a directory, and I don't think
> > you can possibly overwrite a directory with a file, even
> > accidentally. You'd need to delete the directory first.
>
> I agree, I don't think this should be an issue.  Older Geany would not
> be able to load the project, but that should be all.  And if the config
> part starts with the same format as old $project.geany, a user could
> workaround that by loading $project.geany/project.conf manually.

I'm happy for it to be the same so long as someone can assure me that geany
saving a file can't overwrite a directory on the most common file system
arrangements which includes windows and includes windows file systems on a
NAS mounted via Samba (a sadly increasing situation with cheep NAS boxes).

Note that config saving will use g_file_set_contents() if the option is
set, which writes to a temp file, and renames it over the old file.  I
agree that on Linux it can't rename a file over a directory, but on what it
thinks is a windows file system it deletes the old file first and then
renames the temp to it.  Are we sure that won't allow it to overwrite
directories?

> > But it may be confusing to the users, indeed.
>
> Well, I don't think it's more confusing that having the name change, and
> it would keep on working exactly the same: `geany $project.geany`

If my concerns above are allayed then yes its an advantage for operation to
remain the same.