[Geany-Devel] g_spawn_command_line_async result in the message tab

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sat Nov 16 21:56:12 UTC 2013

On 16/11/13 20:55, Matthew Brush wrote:
> On 13-11-16 11:08 AM, Francesco OpenCode Apruzzese wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm try to create a new Geany plugin with this documentation
>> (http://www.geany.org/manual/reference/) and the examples in this repo
>> (https://github.com/geany/geany-plugins)
>>
>> This is the plugin i'm developing:
>> https://github.com/OpenCode/geany-python-good-code
>>
>> I'm using g_spawn_command_line_async to launch a tool with the current
>> file as parameter. I want know if is possibile to read the command
>> output and show it in the messages.
>>

> The functions related to this are here:
>
> http://www.geany.org/manual/reference/msgwindow_8h.html
>
> Also, if you like to write it in Python, GeanyPy[1] allows to make Geany
> plugins using Python.

One more note not strictly answering your question:

are you aware of https://wiki.geany.org/howtos/check_python_code ? This
is basically what you are trying to do (I guess) but with out-of-the-box
feature of Geany.

Though if your plugin can do it better in any way, why not. And we could
shrink the wiki page to just say: 'use the cool python-good-code' plugin :).

P.S.: Oh, and the plugin name is rather optimistic I guess, 'good code'
is not guaranteed by pep8, pyflakes, pylint and friends. It just helps
to find bad code :).