[Geany-Devel] Gtk2 vs Gtk3 (was. Re: A direction for Geany)

Frank Lanitz frank at xxxxx
Wed Nov 13 12:09:18 UTC 2013

Am 13.11.2013 00:48, schrieb Lex Trotman:
> Because many distros are more than 3 years old and still supported.
>  Geany has users (and developers) in commercial and academic
> environments which will often be constrained to older (but still
> supported) versions of Red Hat, Scientific Linux, Suse etc.

Yes.

> Its fine for hobbyists to want to play with the latest, we only have one
> PC to change over, but institutions often have hundreds or thousands and
> have all sorts of specific software to ensure still works when they upgrade.

As an admin inside a smaller environment (<500 clients) its hard enough
to get Windows XP out. We even got versions < XP SP3 running :(

Having this in mind for Geany: We have to check clearly, what we want to
support. As already mentioned we don't have a good ruleset for this at
the moment.

Cheers,
Frank