[Geany-Devel] Let's use Vala

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Wed Nov 13 01:16:11 UTC 2013

On 13-11-12 03:16 PM, Steven Blatnick wrote:
> I hope I don't have to rewrite my plugins again for this editor ;-) I
> will admit though, seg faulting all of geany in a plugin gets annoying :-)
>
> Maybe I'm spoiling the party, but like with gnome 2, sometimes sticking
> with what you have is better than seemingly needless upgrades.  I'm
> running older hardware at home since running linux doesn't require me to
> upgrade every few years like windows does.

I don't think many would argue with you that GNOME2 was vastly superior
to the shell thing, but it's a dead-end (except MATE fork of course,
which IIRC is using/supporting GTK3 in some capacity).

> I read an article a while back, sorry I can't remember the source,
> pointing out how developer's desire to do a rewrite/refactor of code is
> not a good idea since all regressions and bugs can come back and all of
> that effort was lost.  That said, I'm always suggesting the need for
> refactoring at every job i've been at, so I may be a hypocrite.

If it's the article I'm thinking of, it's this:

But just because some guy wrote it on his blog don't make it
automatically true or apply to all projects. IMO of any code I've ever
read, Geany's is most due for some re-design/cleanup/re-factoring :)

> Maybe these comments refer more to the change of direction thread, since
> it sounds like vala compiles to C anyway, and would just be extending
> the way we can code things rather than re-writing or re-defining what we
> are doing.

Sort of, but it's also a tool that can greatly facilitate the changes
being discussed in the other thread.