[Geany-Devel] Gtk2 vs Gtk3 (was. Re: A direction for Geany)

Yosef Or Boczko yoseforb at xxxxx
Tue Nov 12 23:35:03 UTC 2013

בתאריך ד', נוב 13, 2013 בשעה 1:27 AM, Matthew Brush
<mbrush at codebrainz.ca> כתב:
> On 13-11-12 03:06 PM, Steven Blatnick wrote:
>> I'm being a bit off topic, but one problem I have with having both
>> Gtk2
>> and Gtk3 apps is that there have been settings and theme
>> discrepancies.
>> For example, I use Linux Mint MATE, and there have been some problems
>> with bookmarks being in sync between the file open dialog in Gtk2
>> apps
>> vs Gtk3 apps.  Plus, if I don't use a theme that is available in both
>> versions of Gtk, then I end up with foreign looking apps in my
>> environment, almost like I'm port forwarding X and getting things
>> theme-less.  Even geany hasn't been flawless in this Gnome Civil War,
>> with the default external file browser being nautilus, where my
>> system
>> uses the nearly identical caja, although I changed the setting in
>> geany
>> of course.
>>

> Fair enough, but none of this is Geany's problem, it's more like your
> distro isn't well-configured and the GTK+ team did a crap job
> maintaining overall compatibility between major releases even at the
> user level.
>
> Unless we're going to switch toolkits or someone is volunteering to
> maintain a fork, there's really no logical reason to avoid the
> inevitable, scratching and clawing at the past hoping some generous
> RedHat developers are going to forever maintain dead versions, or
> they'll change their minds and revert back to good old days or
> something.

Why to switch to other toolkits?!
I not understand what don't good in GTK+.

And also - why to keep GTK+ 2?
GTK+ 3 avilable in all distro, also in older distro,
it also work in Windows and also in Mac. this
because GTK+ 3 released before almost three years.