[Geany-Devel] A direction for Geany

Thomas Martitz thomas.martitz at xxxxx
Tue Nov 12 20:13:44 UTC 2013

Am 12.11.2013 16:38, schrieb Frank Lanitz:
> Am 12.11.2013 00:11, schrieb Yosef Or Boczko:
>> As a GNOME 3 user, I realy like the recent design of
>> the applications in GNOME, specify the GtkHeaderBar[1].
>>
>> And yes, I know have some people not like the new design of
>> GNOME.
>>
>> As Matthew say, we can to go use the modern GTK+ API,
>> for GtkApplication, GSettings and more, and I offer to go
>> also to the GtkHeaderBar, it realy good thing.
>>
>> [1] https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/3.10/GtkHeaderBar.html
>>
>> What you thing?
> If this needs to only support Gtk3 I'm against it alone for that reason.
> As you might know I'm doing a couple of boothes for Geany during the
> year and one major question last times is: will Geany keep supporting Gtk2.

Everything can be done with ongoing GTK2 support. It's just a question
of how different the two code paths are and the associated maintenance
effort. There will, for a long time to come, a GTK2 compatible build
even if we are going to use GTK3 features more.

But we should bump, at some point, the min. GTK2 version because that
has APIs more similar to GTK3. Actually, in my opinion, ASAP so that we
can merge the changebar work of Matthew.

Best regards.