[Geany-Devel] Let's use Vala

Frank Lanitz frank at xxxxx
Tue Nov 12 15:50:55 UTC 2013

I cannot add much to the vala yes/no question, as the only part of ala
I've seen by know are Matthews's plugin in g-p. Two or maybe three
things are important to me, in case of:

- Geany needs to keep its small memory footprint
- Created code needs to run on all plattforms Geany currently is running
on -- At least I know of *BSD, Solaris,, MacOS X, Windows, Linux and we
need to stay compatible with curent stable versions of SLES, RHEL etc.
which means at least RHEL 5.x and SLES 10. Also at least for the next
year we need to keep on running on Debian Squeeze also.
- There needs to be a final, let's call it C-only-release (well, having
1.24 in some would be a good idea anyway)
- g-p should keep on running: We got a lot of badly maintained, but good
used plugins. If a major rewrite is needed for them, I doubt it will be
done for a huge number of.

Cheers,
Frank