[Geany-Devel] Gtk2 vs Gtk3 (was. Re: A direction for Geany)

Frank Lanitz frank at xxxxx
Tue Nov 12 17:47:11 UTC 2013

Am 11.11.2013 10:31, schrieb Matthew Brush:
> The other way we could go is to just strive to be a proper, modern GTK+
> application. By this I mean using stuff like GtkApplication,
> GtkApplicationWindow, GSettings, etc. The GTK+ stack has lots of cool
> stuff to make doing applications easier/better that we don't use because
> of the ever-present restriction about needing to be able to support LTS
> distros with old GTK2 and not wanting to "GObjectify" and/or make large
> changes to the code.

As mentioned in another mail already, we got a lot of users requesting
to still support Gtk2 as they don't want to change to some Gtk3-based
desktop. These users will decrease with time for sure and once Xfce 4.12
is ready for Gtk3 hopefully will disappear, but currently it looks a bit
like this will be happen when GNU/Hurd final is released.  Until this
eternity, we need to find a way for users not using Gtk3 in favor of
Gtk2 -- even I know it's a pain in the back.

Cheers,
Frank