[Geany-Devel] Let's use Vala

Thomas Martitz thomas.martitz at xxxxx
Tue Nov 12 07:44:13 UTC 2013

Am 12.11.2013 05:52, schrieb Steven Blatnick:

> By the way, I should point out that these remarks also apply to the
> geany direction thread. I also should point out this doesn't
> necessarily mean I'm opposed to vala, I'm just expressing concerns.
>
> From this thread, it sounds like vala binds pretty well to C++ like
> python does, but also doesn't add bloat while simplifying the code. I
> don't think I've noticed python doing much to simplify gtk-centric
> code though, so would vala do better? If changing to vala is like
> changing to python, I'd be more inclined against it, although it would
> be good exerience to gain.
>
> Thanks for all the replies :-)

Vala has the advantage that it compiles down to plain C code. Thus you
can trivially call code written in Vala from "legacy" C code. This is
also true for C++ (or some subset of it) but not for other languages
which need a more complex foreign language interface.

Therefore, if we want to switch to a higher level language without
re-write (we don't have the man power for a rewrite) C++ and Vala are
good candidates.

Best regards.