[Geany-Devel] A direction for Geany

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Mon Nov 11 22:14:46 UTC 2013

On 12 November 2013 02:45, Pavel Roschin <roshin at scriptumplus.ru> wrote:

> > 5. Drop Scintilla and use GtkSourceView. I'll just enumerate the reasons
> > that come to mind, in no particular order:
>
> But does this mean that some Sci-features are going to pass away? E.g.
> scintilla
> supports multiple selections and, gap buffer, multiple gaps, inline styling
> (e.g. spellcheck, mark words) that I never seen in gedit/mousepad.

Hi Pavel,

My intention in starting this thread was to try to get some overall design
going for the purposes of *adding* big features that would be hard to do
now,  I assumed that retaining all existing Geany features was a given.  So
unless somebody can show that an existing feature is **really** unused then
any design we reach needs to end up being able to support the same
features, though maybe not implemented in the same way.

If the editing widget is changed the same capabilities need to be possible,
though maybe not implemented in the same way.  The cost of re-implementing
anything would be factored against whatever benefits a new widget might
bring.