[Geany-Devel] Let's use Vala

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Mon Nov 11 13:45:24 UTC 2013

On 13-11-11 05:37 AM, Thomas Martitz wrote:
> Am 10.11.2013 21:04, schrieb Matthew Brush:
>>
>> Maybe it's something specific to that Gist, so I re-pasted it in a new
>> one:
>>
>> https://gist.github.com/codebrainz/7403171
>>

> Impressive. Unfortunately only a tiny fraction of Geany's code can be
> vala'fied like this, right?

So trivially, yes. There's a few other GObjects that would be nearly as
easy (but frankly are some Geany's nicest code already :), but the rest
of the code would actually require writing real logic and stuff into
Vala. Although what I was driving at in general wasn't just "porting"
Geany's code 1:1 into Vala but re-factoring/re-writing/re-organizing,
and using Vala to do it (same as I've talked about before WRT GObject on
the list/IRC), so it's not really super important how much code can be
directly 1:1 ported or vala-fied like that, I just wanted to give a
little taste of the LOC/complexity reductions we could expect with Vala :)