[Geany-Devel] Let's use Vala

Thomas Martitz thomas.martitz at xxxxx
Sun Nov 10 14:25:33 UTC 2013

Am 10.11.2013 05:44, schrieb Matthew Brush:
> Hi all,
>
> In the spirit of the previous discussions about using C99 and C++ in
> Geany code with similar subject lines, I'd like to take a
> poll/discussion for allowing the use of Vala for new/re-written Geany
> code. The pros and cons likely will be slightly biased since I would
> obviously like to use Vala in Geany, but here they are anyway:

I'm undecided: on the one hand I would love if we could use Vala for new
Gobject-related and OOP code, but on the other hand Geany is full of
non-gobject code and Vala is still young, not widespread and
un-standardized.

I'm not against going the Vala route but I guess my uncertainty counts
as a no.

Perhaps we should first make it easier to write plugins in Vala (heck,
merge some bindings already) and see how it plays out.

Best regards.