[Geany-Devel] spawning rewrite - RFC

Dimitar Zhekov dimitar.zhekov at xxxxx
Mon Nov 4 18:04:19 UTC 2013

On Mon, 4 Nov 2013 09:44:45 +1100
Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I propose to always create the win~1 programs with a minimized,
> > non-focused window. For console programs, the uncaptured output will
> > go to the console, and will be lost when the console is auto closed
> > by win~1, but that's better than nothing. Moreover, if a console
> > program crashes, the console will remain on screen until you confirm
> > the win~1 crash dialog.
>
> Though not a windows user, that sounds sensible to me, but will it work
> with execute keeping the console open until enter is pressed?

No. Imagine if you need to close a minimized console for each tool
(grep, gcc, ...) Geany launches. :)

So far, I don't plan to use the rewritten spawning for the build
Execute commands, as they may contain > or >& redirection.

It seems that win~1 redirection is either all or none, so if you
capture stdout, there will be no stderr in the console. However, our
redirections are std{out,err}, std{in,out,err} or none (some calls to
utils_spawn_sync).

--
E-gards: Jimmy