[Geany-Devel] Focus lost when last document closed

Pallai Roland pallair at xxxxx
Mon May 27 20:12:35 UTC 2013

2013/5/27 Dimitar Zhekov <dimitar.zhekov at gmail.com>:
> On Mon, 27 May 2013 13:22:02 +0200
> Pallai Roland <pallair at magex.hu> wrote:
>
>> Do you agree that the problem exists and should be solved?
>
> No. If Geany supported several main activities, such as browsing
> interface objects and clicking on their event handlers to edit the
> code behind, or browsing a database and clicking an object to edit
> it's definition as SQL text, it would have made sense, because the
> editor windows would have been specialized.
>
>> Maybe I was very abstract here: I just want consistent widget focus
>> when I close the very last document.
>
> But not any other document... Attempting to marry activities with
> Geany's general purpose text editors can't produce consistent results.

Please forget word "activities", it has taken us too far from the point IMHO.

> Aside from a plugin being unavailable, the widget from which a file was
> open may be in an unsuitable state: for example a set of Messages,
> which are not result of "Find in Files", or Scope Threads/Stack, after
> the program was terminated.

In worst case we give focus to the wrong widget. Not worse than lost
focus, isn't it? If the implementation is simple and stable, why
not..?

>> How should I fix it?
>
> For Messages, including "Find in Files" matches, you can assign
> shortcuts for the "Next message" and "Previous message". Strangely
> enough, the keys do not work if the last file is closed, although the
> menu items work just file. Bug?..

It opens every file as I walk through results, definitely not what I
want. Furthermore the shortcut really does not work if the last file
is closed. :)