[Geany-Devel] Some Auto-Indentation Ideas

Braden Walters meoblast at xxxxx
Thu Mar 14 21:30:50 UTC 2013

As a reply to everyone:

I now see what Thomas Martitz wrote, and I'm surprised I overlooked the
newline strip whitespace option. This will help me out a bit, but I also
understand Roger Booth's comments about indentation in virtual space.
Although, in the code I work with at least, it's rare that I would
notice a difference between the existing newline strip option and that,
but I definitely think it'd be useful. If you do decide to make that a
plugin, I'd be glad to help.

To Lex Trotman's "rant", I have to say I totally agree but also sort of
disagree. Doing auto-indentation by using the full language grammar is
definitely good to have, but it presents some problems. In every IDE
I've used that does this, it allows you to configure it to some degree
to work with the way you format your code, but any deviation from the
norm becomes a total headache. I've always liked that Geany gives me
lots of auto-complete options, but if I so desire, I can strip those
options down to "only insert exactly what I type". In my opinion,
keeping multiple auto-indentation styles would be better. The
basic/current char methods are nice because they're very simple but
provide some form of auto-indentation, but I agree that perfecting a
more "complete" auto-indentation (or even auto-formating in general)
system is important.

I'm going to think about all of this a bit more, and if I have any other
comments or questions, I'll send another e-mail I suppose. Thanks for
the replies!

--
Sincerely,
Braden Walters