[Geany-Devel] Changing terminate signal for stopping executing programs

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Mon Mar 11 21:57:31 UTC 2013

Le 11/03/2013 22:36, Lex Trotman a écrit :
> On 12 March 2013 08:25, Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
>> Hey Lex,
>>
>> did you intentionally answered off-list?
>
> Nah, your mail was to list and cc me, so the "smart" mailer chose to
> reply to you, and its too early in the morning for me to notice :)
>
> This cced to the list for the record :)

I don't know anything about that, but I don't see a reason why kill()ing
the child would mean any harm to us, so I guess it's ok.

>>> "Some day" and when we figure out how to safely save a file using only
>>> write, not even fwrite is allowed so none of our existing file write
>>> methods is allowed. :(
>>
>> I don't know either :(.
>>

> Not forgetting that we can't use g_convert because we don't know what
> system calls it uses, so its not gonna be easy to save any non-utf-8
> encoding.  Maybe the config & project files only?

That's not the way to go.  IIUC what everybody does is triggering
something in the real program flow from the handler.  E.g. write
something to a pipe that is monitored by the main loop, and then the
main loop would do the real handling.  That don't seem so hard to
implement, is it?  BTW, don't the GLib have something like that already?

https://developer.gnome.org/glib/unstable/glib-UNIX-specific-utilities-and-integration.html#g-unix-signal-source-new

looks just fine, is there a problem with it?  Ah crap, I read "since
2.30".  But it's probably not that hard to implement on older versions
ourselves, even if it simply means to borrow the relevant code…

Whatever.  Cheers,
Colomban