[Geany-Devel] Changing terminate signal for stopping executing programs

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Mon Mar 11 21:36:51 UTC 2013

On 12 March 2013 08:25, Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
> Hey Lex,
>
> did you intentionally answered off-list?

Nah, your mail was to list and cc me, so the "smart" mailer chose to
reply to you, and its too early in the morning for me to notice :)

This cced to the list for the record :)

>>> Without having checked the whole history, I'm pretty much sure I wrote
>>> the comment and so also chose SIGQUIT. I vaguely remember some issues
>>> with the signals sent to the child processes and then Geany suddenly
>>> quit because it also received the signal or at least it seemed so to me.
>>> Well, it was back in 2006.
>>> It might also be that the behaviour I experienced was caused by another
>>> bug and I misinterpreted it and wrongly related it to the sent signal.
>>> As long as SIGTERM reliably works, I'd be fine with.
>>> I'd say now is a good time to check it in since 1.23 is just out and now
>>> master is allowed to new cool stuff again :).
>>>

>> Yeh, I nearly committed it directly on that basis, but eventually
>> decided to be my usual cautious self :)
>
> If it helps and no problems are to be expected, why not. As long as the
> change is not in master, nobody will test it :).

>>> Ah nice, you do volunteer for that task!
>>>

>> "Some day" and when we figure out how to safely save a file using only
>> write, not even fwrite is allowed so none of our existing file write
>> methods is allowed. :(
>
> I don't know either :(.

Not forgetting that we can't use g_convert because we don't know what
system calls it uses, so its not gonna be easy to save any non-utf-8
encoding.  Maybe the config & project files only?