[Geany-Devel] Changing terminate signal for stopping executing programs

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Mon Mar 11 18:37:43 UTC 2013

On 11/03/13 05:17, Lex Trotman wrote:
> On 11 March 2013 14:58, Chow Loong Jin <hyperair at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 11/03/2013 10:18, Lex Trotman wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>> [...]
>>> My understanding of Unix/Linux signals is that the comment above is
>>> wrong and always has been wrong, a signal sent to a child process by a
>>> parent process does not get delivered to the parent.
>>>
>>> I don't know if anybodys memory is good enough to remember why the
>>> comment was thought to be correct (it was 2006 when it was committed).
>>
>> Perhaps it was a misunderstanding -- signals sent to the parent will hit the
>> child process, but not the other way around. (If it did, kill %1 in your shell

Without having checked the whole history, I'm pretty much sure I wrote
the comment and so also chose SIGQUIT. I vaguely remember some issues
with the signals sent to the child processes and then Geany suddenly
quit because it also received the signal or at least it seemed so to me.
Well, it was back in 2006.
It might also be that the behaviour I experienced was caused by another
bug and I misinterpreted it and wrongly related it to the sent signal.
As long as SIGTERM reliably works, I'd be fine with.
I'd say now is a good time to check it in since 1.23 is just out and now
master is allowed to new cool stuff again :).

> One day someone will re-write Geany's terminate handler to be legal
> and Geany will do the same :)

Ah nice, you do volunteer for that task!

:)