[Geany-Devel] Changing terminate signal for stopping executing programs

Chow Loong Jin hyperair at xxxxx
Mon Mar 11 03:58:08 UTC 2013

On 11/03/2013 10:18, Lex Trotman wrote:
> Hi All,
> [...]
> My understanding of Unix/Linux signals is that the comment above is
> wrong and always has been wrong, a signal sent to a child process by a
> parent process does not get delivered to the parent.
>
> I don't know if anybodys memory is good enough to remember why the
> comment was thought to be correct (it was 2006 when it was committed).

Perhaps it was a misunderstanding -- signals sent to the parent will hit the
child process, but not the other way around. (If it did, kill %1 in your shell
would kill your shell as well.)

> For me simply using SIGTERM instead of SIGQUIT works fine, but does
> anybody have any more insight, since we don't want to have Geany stop
> unexpectedly when a user stops their running program.

How about SIGINT, and failing which, notifying the user that the program refuses
to stop, and allowing for SIGTERM or SIGKILL?

--
Kind regards,
Loong Jin