[Geany-Devel] Core Terminal Plugin (was Re: [Geany-Users] no Terminal tab in Geany preferences??)

Dimitar Zhekov dimitar.zhekov at xxxxx
Sat Mar 2 20:24:58 UTC 2013

On Fri, 01 Mar 2013 21:43:13 -0800
Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:

> I'd rather see a plugin _similar_ to MultiTerm providing a multi-tabbed
> terminal (but in C) as a core Geany plugin if it could provide the old
> features. The user experience would be the same or better[1] and we
> could get rid of all dependencies on VTE in core[2] and generally clean
> up all kinds of compile/run time checks and VTE-related code necessarily
> mixed about Geany's code currently.

Great minds think alike. :) However, as Colomban stated, making it a
core plugin means that it will be a compile-time option for the whole
Geany package, which is no different from making it a compile-time-only
option for Geany itself.

> ±1? Thoughts? comments?

+1.

IMO, the visual Terminal prefs, "Override Geany keybindings" and
"Disable menu shortcut key" should remain in Geany (and probably
be moved into Glade), since there are other plugins using VTE.

> Anyone want to work on it?

Yes, but I have something to complete, and then more work on Scope...

> If anyone shows enthusiasm I could start a wiki page giving a bit of a
> "plan of attack" in case people want to help out and to collect ideas.
> I'm moderately interested in working on this myself in the near
> future[3], and also possibly extending it to include a Windows "Command
> Prompt"-like alternative using Win32 console API.

Will there be enough problems to warrant a page? We should discuss the
Execute commands and the ability for a plugin to register widgets as
"Override Geany keybindings" / "Disable menu shortcut key" (whichever
are set), and that's all. The buildin VTE is actually < 1000 lines
with the dlopen stuff.

--
E-gards: Jimmy