[Geany-Devel] Lua script vs the plugin wishlist

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Wed Jun 5 22:16:59 UTC 2013

On 13-06-04 08:19 PM, Thrawn wrote:
> Hi, folks.
>
> I took a look through the plugin wishlist recently, and it seems to
> me that a fair number of them could be solved quickly and easily
> using Lua scripting.

I think that[1] wishlist is pretty out of date, FWIW. Maybe we should
start one on the main wiki[2] again?

> Advanced interaction with Geany's chrome is out,

Assuming chrome means the GUI, I think there's Lua bindings for GTK+ and
from what I've read, it's pretty straightforward binding C structures in
Lua. If you can get a hold of the GeanyMainWidgets structure and/or the
ui_lookup_object function from Lua, you should be golden.

> [...]
>
> I could use GeanyPy, I suppose, and it's capable of more advanced
> stuff, but it's not available as a precompiled package, and the build
> process wanted to install over 100MB of python-dev dependencies...not
> really keen, nor would I want to impose that burden on end-users.
> I'll just pick the low-hanging fruit with Lua.

Oliver has GeanyPy packages on his PPA[3] for Ubuntu, presumably the
.debs would work for other Debian-based distros as well. For the build
process, I'm pretty sure it shouldn't require 100MB of dependencies to
compile (unless you've never installed any build tools yet, like
compiler, autotools, etc). If you use a distro with apt-get, you can use
`apt-get install --no-install-recommends packageName` and often reduce
the number of packages dragged in by half or more.

Anyway, cool that you gave GeanyPy a look, sad that it got overlooked
for another alternative :) It's a weird situation, no uses it because no
uses it[4] :)

[1] http://www.geany.org/Support/PluginWishlist
[2] https://wiki.geany.org/plugins/wishlist - Someone already did :)
just need to transfer the list over.
[3] https://launchpad.net/~oly/+archive/ppa
[4] Lex, before you say "because it's not in Geany-Plugins", patches
welcome on integrating GeanyPy's complex build systems into both of
Geany-Plugin's even more complex build systems, oh and (non-trivial)
upgrading to GTK3 and Gobject-Introspection-based PyGTK for GTK3 :)