[Geany-Devel] Compiling 1.23.1 under Windows

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Wed Jun 5 17:56:39 UTC 2013

On 05/06/13 19:05, Dimitar Zhekov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried to $subject, and ran into small problems.
>
> First, geany_private.rc now includes geany.exe.manifest, but the 1.23.1
> bzip lacks this file. Maybe the gzip archive has it, I havent tested.

Sorry, I forgot to add it to Makefile.am. Will fix this later in GIT.

> Copying a manifest from the current git works fine. It has the geany
> version set to 1.24.0.0 though.

This is normal, as GIT master (I guess you pulled it from master) gets a
versiom bump after a release.

> Second, both the mail announcement for 1.23.1 and the archive files
> are dated after May 05, but wscript lacks the code which alters the C
> compiler detection under Win~1. So waf properly detects msvc on my

As expected. This change was not baked into the 1.23.1 as this release
was only to address important bugs and build-system-only related issues
are not that critical.

> system, and Geany fails to build. Speaking of which, it'll be a good
> idea to change the C++ compiler detection as well - I don't think a mix
> of gcc-compiled Geany sources and msvc-compiled Scintilla will work.

True. We should do this. Do you volunteer as you seem to have a system
with both compilers installed and so you can test this best?  :)

> If we don't want to release 1.23.1.1 (or 1.23.2) ASAP, I'll change and
> test the compiler detection under Win~1 tomorrow.

I don't think we want, at least not because of the mentioned issues.
Except for maybe three or four people, I guess nobody builds Geany on
Windows.