[Geany-Devel] Lua script vs the plugin wishlist

Thomas Martitz thomas.martitz at xxxxx
Wed Jun 5 09:13:33 UTC 2013

Am 05.06.2013 06:34, schrieb Lex Trotman:

> On 5 June 2013 13:19, Thrawn <shell_layer-geany at yahoo.com.au
> <mailto:shell_layer-geany at yahoo.com.au>> wrote:
>
>     Hi, folks.
>
>     I took a look through the plugin wishlist recently, and it seems
>     to me that a fair number of them could be solved quickly and
>     easily using Lua scripting. Advanced interaction with Geany's
>     chrome is out, but for text wrangling and integration with
>     external tools, Lua scripts are effective, and they're extremely
>     quick and easy to do.
>
>     I'm going to upload a 'delete duplicate lines' script to the Geany
>     wiki soon, and then I plan to take a look at jumping to external
>     functions in files that aren't open. FTP integration might be
>     feasible too.
>
>     I could use GeanyPy, I suppose, and it's capable of more advanced
>     stuff, but it's not available as a precompiled package, and the
>     build process wanted to install over 100MB of python-dev
>     dependencies...not really keen, nor would I want to impose that
>     burden on end-users. I'll just pick the low-hanging fruit with Lua.
>

> Hi,
>
> Before you get too carried away, are you aware that the Lua plugin is
> orphaned and will be removed in the next release unless someone
> becomes maintainer?
>
> Perhaps you should organise that first, if you want to be maintainer
> yourself then you need reasonable C skills and the time and interest
> to keep the plugin up to date, for example it currently does not work
> with GTK3.  (I don't know how much is involved in that).
>
> Cheers
> Lex

As I noted in the other thread, I still disagree that a plugin that
seems to be working fine for a number of users should be removed from
the release (until a severe bug occurs).

Best regards