[Geany-Devel] wordchars in filetypes.r

Liviu Andronic landronimirc at xxxxx
Mon Jul 29 07:27:20 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 4:03 AM, Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
> It has never been defined what a "word" is in the context of the filetype
> files.  I would have assumed that it meant "identifier" characters, but
> since the wordchars setting is commented out in all filetypes files, all
> languages must only use C identifier characters (the default) :)

OK, I never realized that this could be contentious, so let me explain myself.

In R the set of symbols which can be used in object names is
[A-Za-z0-9] and "_" and "." (with code portability and platform
compatibility in mind). For more gruesome details see:
http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-release/R-intro.html#R-commands_003b-case-sensitivity-etc
. So I assume that this is what counts for "word" in this case, as in
R everything is an object. For another example of IDE, RStudio also
does what I propose here, and RStudio specializes in R.

I understand that it is Geany policy to comment out this setting, so
this is fine. But please do amend the list of wordchars to include the
dot:
#wordchars=_.abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ0123456789

This way I can give more straightforward instructions for R users (
http://landroni.wordpress.com/2013/07/27/using-geany-for-programming-in-r/
) on how to fix this. And those not desiring a . or _ in the list
above, will take care of those themselves while uncommenting the
setting. Ultimately what a user prefers will depend on exactly that,
user preference. But both options should be easily selectable.

Regards,
Liviu