[Geany-Devel] Smart tabs

Thomas Martitz thomas.martitz at xxxxx
Wed Jul 17 06:53:15 UTC 2013

Am 17.07.2013 00:49, schrieb Thrawn:
> Thomas Martitz wrote:
>> Bah, this "everything must be a plugin" really annoys me...
>> What's wrong with you accepting new code in the core?
> Actually, I agree that custom indentation schemes are too troublesome to include in core...
> unless someone, somehow, has a spark of genius allowing them to invent a perfect
> one-scheme-fits-all approach. This idea - particularly the Lua script - is far from that.

I didn't mean to suggest there is a one-scheme-fits-all solution. The
core can totally have customizations to a generic algorithm (or even
custom algorithms) on a per-language basis. What I question is the
enforcement (I perceive it as such) to introduce all new functionality
via (perhaps unreliable) plugins even if essential core features
(indentation is clearly one of them) are concerned. There seems little,
if any, consideration whether new stuff should go into the core or
plugins. The plugin approach is the default and it seems hard to improve
the core.

Plugins are nice, but still not ideal. The authors might not be
dependable, the code quality can be bad, they are not automatically
loaded (which is I guess the point of them, however it means that users
cannot not be automatically exposed to new functionality) and there's
non-zero overhead in both memory usage and performance. The first two
obviously don't apply for plugins that ship with Geany.

Best regards.