[Geany-Devel] Smart tabs

Dimitar Zhekov dimitar.zhekov at xxxxx
Tue Jul 16 16:46:29 UTC 2013

On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 15:09:53 -0700 (PDT)
Thrawn <shell_layer-geany at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> I recently came across some articles on the Emacs wiki about spaces vs tabs:
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/SmartTabs
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/TabsAreEvil
>
> Their argument is that tabs should be used for indentation, while spaces should be used to align text when a long line is split. Makes sense to me.

By default, when splitting a line, Geany will copy the indentation.
Once you split the line and align it with spaces of your choice,
the following splits will be OK, but you'll need to remove the extra
spaces at some point.

The questions are, than:

1. Whether do you want the split line aligned? You can be splitting
statements that are currently on one line, such as project.c:
"case 2: widget = radio_long_line_custom; break;"

2. What ammount of alignment spaces is required for the current line?

3. When to stop adding extra alignment spaces?

To me, these alignment issues seem orthogonal to what we have as
indentation in Geany. Maybe some plugin with keys for split at the
current column and and un-align (remove spaces) would be fine...

--

On Tue, 16 Jul 2013 11:02:28 +1000
Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Better just not to use tabs of course, you don't actually save much in the
> default case of 4 spaces per tab.

Better for what? I use tabs for indentation because with the tab size,
I can easily control the screen ammount of indentation, depending on
the font and display. Saving disk space has nothing to do with that,
I'll have to live very long to write 1GB of source code. :)

--
E-gards: Jimmy