[Geany-Devel] Smart tabs

Thrawn shell_layer-geany at xxxxx
Mon Jul 15 22:09:53 UTC 2013

Hi, folks.

I recently came across some articles on the Emacs wiki about spaces vs tabs:
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/SmartTabs
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/TabsAreEvil

Their argument is that tabs should be used for indentation, while spaces should be used to align text when a long line is split. Makes sense to me.

Is there, or should there be, support for this idea in Geany (or more likely in a plugin)? Probably this would not be suitable for Python, of course, but it works for C-style languages.

I could probably write a Lua script that would split a long line using this idea: same number of tabs as the original, then spaces to align the new line with the last bracket on the previous one. Maybe bound to Shift+Enter.

Any thoughts?

Thrawn