[Geany-Devel] Python filetype 2 or 3 or both?

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at herbesfolles.org
Fri Jan 25 18:28:08 UTC 2013

Le 23/01/2013 06:17, Lex Trotman a écrit :
> Hi All,
>
> We have only one Python filetype, but Python has two versions.
>
> There are some differences between them in terms of keywords and builtins.
>
> For example exec, nonlocal, True, False and None are not keywords for
> Python 2 but are for 3.
>
> And print is a keyword for 2 but not for 3.
>
> There are similar changes to the builtins.

I don't think these differences are big enough to legitimate the
introduction of a new, confusing, filetype just for them.  It's not like
Python 2 and 3 are different languages, it's just that a *few* things
got introduced or removed.

> At the moment True, False and None are in the keyword list but exec
> and nonlocal are not.  There is a PR to remove True, False and None.

Please, no.

> Since Python 3 is gaining ground I suggest that it would be better to
> have an aggregate of both Pythons for both keywords and builtins.
> Whilst that is wrong for both, I think missing keywords is worse than
> extras.

Agreed.  I don't think it's a real problem to have e.g. print as a
keyword for Python 3, and I think it's really not a problem to have the
Python 3 keywords in Python 2.

> What do other Python users think?

As a hobbyist Python writer and Geany developer, one single Python
filetype, PLEASE!

Cheers,
Colomban