[Geany-Devel] GEANY - New behaviour of "close" document action to close only tabs

Thomas Young thomasyoung at free.fr
Tue Jan 22 08:15:46 UTC 2013

Hi all,

 > One thing that's different from Geany from other IDEs I've used is that
 > it doesn't have "files in the project" but rather just stores "where are
 > the project's files" (ie. base path).

Right.
Speaking for myself, and the build setup I'm working with right now,
this actually suits me very well.

Essentially, the set of files for a 'project' for me is defined as 'all
the source files under a specified root directory'.
And this then fits in well with the way Geany works, because I can add
new source files just by creating files, or copying and renaming
existing files, and so on, without any additional 'add to project'
action required.

(And from various posts I've seen, I have a feeling that quite a lot of
people have some kind of similar project setup now.)

One thing that _doesn't_ fit in so well with the geany (core) paradigm
is the 'go to tag definition' feature (which is included in Geany core).

I have a build setup on Windows, also, with MSVC, and for comparison in
that case I actually need to run a script to update visual studio
project files after adding a new object, and depend on visual studio
detecting this and offering to reload the project.

But then, after it reloads the project file, it then knows about all of
the relevant source code and can do this properly (if you give it a bit
of time to update it's source code indexing in the background).

In Geany, however, in order for the 'go to tag definition' feature to
work you actually need to make sure you have the source code file that
defines the tag loaded.
So, for this to actually be useful in the general case, you _do_
actually need to have your whole set of project files loaded.

So, this is actually completely inconsistent with the whole simple 'list
of open files is a session and there is no list of files in project'
paradigm being discussed, I think, and is then also confusing and
misleading for people starting to use Geany, as well as complicating the
core source code and dependencies.
So, I suggest that this whole 'tag' based code analysis thing should
actually be _removed_ from Geany core (and perhaps moved into one of the
project management plugins)!

(As an aside, for myself, I'm managed to hack something up that uses
libClang to lookup references, that doesn't need know about the whole
set of project files in order to work. It actually just executes the
corresponding compile command within libClang each time you click
'lookup reference', and so fits in quite nicely with the 'no list of
files in project' paradigm..)

Best regards,

Thomas