[Geany-Devel] Filetype activated plugins

Lex Trotman elextr at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 08:31:22 UTC 2013

Hi Colomban and all interested parties,

See git://github.com/elextr/geany.git filetype_plugins branch.

Warning, barely tested :)

The question is which paths to use for the filetype plugins, at the
moment its absolute, but that isn't suitable in the long run.  I
suggest looking in "plugins" subdirectory relative to the filetypes
files as well as the normal system locations.  This means that all the
(future :) filetypes plugins don't get loaded each time the plugin
manager is opened, which is what happens with plugins in the standard
locations.  But a filetype can still activate a standard plugin from
geany_plugins for eg.

Loaded filetype plugins appear in the plugin manager, so you can
deactivate them if you want to, but they can't be reloaded until the
filetype is reloaded.  Makes sense to me.

There are some nasties because filetypes can be loaded asynchronously
while the plugin manager is open, with both using the
active_plugins_list (at least).  I have currently simply locked out
(silently) all file loading whilst the pm is open because it isn't
until way into the loading process before the filetype is determined
and so the decision to load another filetype is made and plugins may
be loaded.

PS Colomban and Matthew, no not lexers or parsers :)