[Geany-Devel] Accessing argv from plugins

Lex Trotman elextr at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 11:46:29 UTC 2013

On 7 January 2013 20:25, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to write a plugin that requires some command line options passed to
> it (through geany). Is there a way to make it so Geany will accept arbitrary
> arguments and then I can pick them out of /proc/<PID>/cmdline or
> something[1]? I tried but Geany currently errors out if it sees an option it
> does not recognize itself.
>
> Assuming this is not possible currently, is there any sane way to pass
> arguments to plugins, maybe something like how you can pass `-Wl` to GCC to
> pass-through linker args or `-X` to valac to pass-through compiler args?

There is always (shuddddder) environment vars if you don't want to modify Geany.

Or you could add a multi-occurance option that takes string values,
the -X sounds good (X for extensions == plugins).  Make all the values
available to plugins (GSlist maybe) which can pick and choose what
they want.

So you get:

geany -X="plugin_name-option_name=value"
-X="plugin2name-another_option=value" files