[Geany-Devel] codesubmit plugin

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Wed Feb 27 01:20:02 UTC 2013

On 13-02-26 03:43 PM, Lex Trotman wrote:
> On 27 February 2013 10:26, Thomas Martitz
> <thomas.martitz at student.htw-berlin.de> wrote:
>> Am 27.02.2013 00:08, schrieb Mayank Jha:
>>
>>> To all esteemed developers Frank Lanitz, Matthew Brush. Kindly review my
>>> code which i have modified according to your suggestions.
>>

>> Shall we guess what your plugin does?
>>
>> Regarding the embedded python script. I don't think you actually need to
>> write it out to a file, you should be able to pass it to the interpreter
>> from memory (see [1]).

Yep, much better way to do it, but for reasons mentioned below.

> Plugins should not embed Python since it can only be done once, if two
> plugins both do it it fails.  There have already been problems with
> trying to use two plugins which both embed python.  On the basis that
> the only likely solution is having a shared Python, nobody should
> embed Python in their plugins until Geanypy is sorted.

+1

>> What's the status of the python plugin?
>
> ping codebrainz :)

Except for needed work on sharing keybindings between the Python
plugins, it's pretty stable in my experience. Only big thing is to get
it integrated into the GP build systems (and as usual API docs[1] are
incomplete).

<rant>
I still really wish I could keep the code synced in it's own repo on
Github, but due to restrictions on Git submodules in GP and the
"proprietary" build system, it seems like I'll have to stop being able
to provide stand-alone distribution (and way better Github Issue tracker
and such). Suggestions would be very welcome if there's a way I could do
this without double-maintaining repos, I'm neither a Git nor Autotools
expert.
</rant>

[1] https://geanypy.readthedocs.org