[Geany-Devel] Lua script idea: vim overlay

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Fri Feb 8 03:43:08 UTC 2013

On 13-02-07 05:32 PM, Thrawn wrote:
>> IMO, it'd be silly removing a perfectly functional plugin
>> unless it breaks and no one wants to fix it. I doubt that'll
>> happen anytime soon with both Lua and Geany plugin API being
>> quite stable, and unless the breakage is massive and hard to
>> fix, I'd also be willing to pitch in to keep it working, as
>> other contributors have done in the past.
>
> Sounds good :).
>
>> I'll also take this opportunity to point out the existence
>> of GeanyPy[1], which for me makes more sense since I know
>> Python fairly well and Lua not at all :)
>
> I didn't know about that one; I haven't built any plugins from source, just downloaded via apt-get. Looks like it's more powerful, because it exposes the full plugin API, whereas Lua scripts just get a subset. I'll have to check it out sometime if I find that I need more powerful interaction than geanylua allows. Has the API stabilised?

I guess so, it's mostly just a 1:1 mapping of Geany's C API. It's
missing the odd function and hasn't any support yet for Geany's plugin
keybindings facilities, but otherwise I can't see changing it unless
Geany's plugin API changes.