[Geany-Devel] A direction for Geany

Thrawn shell_layer-geany at xxxxx
Mon Dec 16 03:26:21 UTC 2013

Hi, folks.

I've been out of the loop for a while, but have just caught up with this thread and the one about Vala. Just wanted to add $0.02:

- I'm not really a C programmer (Java background), so would welcome non-C opportunities for plugin writing. Although I actually do like Lua scripting.
- Vala looks promising because it generates C code. This sounds a bit like eg CoffeeScript compiling to JavaScript. If it generates similar (or better?) machine code, and is easier for humans, sounds good. Given my background, I would certainly find it easier to contribute to Vala code than to C code. But I'm not expert in the dependency issues.
- Scintilla may be ugly compared to GtkSourceView, but my experience of their respective editors (eg Notepad++) is that it provides more features - and worthwhile ones. Even code folding is a plugin in Gedit. And I love rectangular selection. So I don't like the idea of swapping to GtkSourceView.

Thrawn