[Geany-Devel] Scope/VTE size bug

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Sat Aug 31 02:57:30 UTC 2013

On 13-08-30 01:00 PM, Dimitar Zhekov wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 17:50:52 -0700
> Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:
>
>> There was a bug report about message window sizing issues that seems to
>> be caused by the Scope plugin:
>>
>> https://sourceforge.net/p/geany/bugs/988/
>>
>> I'm not sure how to "move" the ticket to the Geany-Plugins bug tracker
>> so I'm just sending it here.
>
> Thanks.
>
>> If I recall correctly from writing MultiTerm, there's a bug in VTE
>> library where it doesn't size itself properly (maybe something related
>> to using width in characters instead of pixels) and it goes super-huge
>> by default.
>
> Not huge, but certainly wider than a normal side panel. I simply haven't
> tested that.

I didn't even know the option existed before that report, what a nice
surprise!

>> For MultiTerm, I remember I had to perform an explicit
>> gtk_widget_set_size_request(wid, N, N) where N was any arbitrary size
>> smaller than expected (I think I chose 100 or 10 or something). Also,
>> I'm not positive, but the VTE widget might also need to be placed in a
>> GtkFrame or similar, and then into an GtkHBox with a GtkVScrollbar
>> (using the VTE's adjustment) next to the VTE into the GtkHBox.
>
> Mine is a scrolled window instead of frame/hbox/scrollbar, but the
> more likely reason is that I don't set fake initial sizes. The problem
> is, unlike the terminals, Scope's "Program Terminal" and "Debug Console"
> may emit a lot of text before being focused by the user. With fake
> sizes, this text is ugly wrapped, due to the small "width", and
> scrolled up outside the window, due to the small "height".
>
> I'll try to find something satisfactory, and leave a comment at this
> bug report when finished.

Cool. FYI, a similar problem seems to exist in Debugger plugin[1], even
though it seems to use same "workarounds" as Geany VTE and IIRC copied
by MultiTerm plugin, that don't cause the issue for whatever reason.

[1] https://sourceforge.net/p/geany/bugs/991/