[Geany-Devel] Scope/VTE size bug

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Fri Aug 30 00:50:52 UTC 2013

Hi,

There was a bug report about message window sizing issues that seems to
be caused by the Scope plugin:

https://sourceforge.net/p/geany/bugs/988/

I'm not sure how to "move" the ticket to the Geany-Plugins bug tracker
so I'm just sending it here.

If I recall correctly from writing MultiTerm, there's a bug in VTE
library where it doesn't size itself properly (maybe something related
to using width in characters instead of pixels) and it goes super-huge
by default.

For MultiTerm, I remember I had to perform an explicit
gtk_widget_set_size_request(wid, N, N) where N was any arbitrary size
smaller than expected (I think I chose 100 or 10 or something). Also,
I'm not positive, but the VTE widget might also need to be placed in a
GtkFrame or similar, and then into an GtkHBox with a GtkVScrollbar
(using the VTE's adjustment) next to the VTE into the GtkHBox. I
probably just copied how Geany did it, I don't remember for sure, but it
works anyway. I could be completely wrong on the cause of the bug, I
just wanted to mention since I remember fighting VTE for same issue.