[Geany-Devel] Geany using standard types

Dimitar Zhekov dimitar.zhekov at xxxxx
Mon Aug 19 17:33:28 UTC 2013

On Sun, 18 Aug 2013 03:56:01 -0700
Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:

> My concern here with stdint.h was that if CHAR_BIT > 8 then C99 forbids
> an implementation from defining int8_t and if int8_t isn't defined then
> uint8_t can't be defined.  And if this is true [citation needed], and
> you couldn't rely on (u)int8_t, then might as well just stick to
> portable GLib typedefs.

In POSIX and Windows, CHAR_BIT is always 8, and we don't really support
anything else.

CHAR_BIT may be > 8 if the system can not address 8-bit values, but in
that case, no 8-bit integer type will exist, and GLib will be unable to
define a gint8 either. Which is not a problem, since GLib (as of 2.37)
supports only G_OS_BEOS, G_OS_UNIX and G_OS_WIN32...

--
E-gards: Jimmy