[Geany-Devel] Lets move to C99

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Sat Aug 17 08:31:54 UTC 2013

Le 17/08/2013 04:19, Matthew Brush a écrit :
> [...] 90% of C++'s crumminess is due to backwards compatibility with
> C, so I think it should be (theoretically, not socially) possible to
> gradually transition from one to the other in a project like Geany
> without too much pain.

I doubt it, C++ is sufficiently different from a C program not to be
compilable by a C++ compiler in many cases -- even if it is just for
some implicit casts C++ requires to be explicit (IIRC), and there are
plenty.  Or maybe it depends what "too much pain" means :)

Also, I doubt it's any kind of sensible either, because good C++ use is
sufficiently different from C to require large rewrite.  In this case,
better rewrite everything and don't keep the clumsy code :)

Cheers,
Colomban