[Geany-Devel] Lets move to C99

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Fri Aug 16 12:29:36 UTC 2013

Le 16/08/2013 08:07, Matthew Brush a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> [...]
> - mixed declarations and code

NO.

> [...]
>
> - Coding in the new millennium style :)

No point in that, it's not like switching to a modern language, just a
few small corner changes to improve the language.

> - Microsoft Visual C++ compiler is not C99 conformant and plans not to
> ever be AFAIK (of little consequence since we don't compile with MSVC).

That'd be a point against it, although MSVC always was crappy for C, no
matter which C version :-'

> - Allowed to use // style comments

Honestly, although they are a little practical to quickly comment a line
without having to care if it's already a comment or something, I don't
see much need for this, I'm just fine with /**/

> - Allowed to declare loop counter-style variable inside the for loop.

Yeah, that's kinda fun.

> - Use standard C instead of G*-portability wrappers in various place
> (bool, fixed-width ints, etc.).
>
> This is just sort of random, but I feel that some our code could be
> better if we depended less on G*-stack and more on (>10 year old) ISO
> standards.

One question: why?  There are only very few things that we really do use
from GLib that C99 has, and even if it does, what's the matter?

Rant against G* if you wish, no problem, but then just drop it
altogether, "upgrading" to C99 won't change anything in this matter.

> P.S. Sorry for the bikeshed bait.

Yeah, and sorry to sound so annoying (especially in the other mail ;),
but I really see this as "let's upgrade for the sake of upgrading", and
I don't see the point.  And this annoys me when you try to justify it by
ranting against G* -- not that I care about the rant, but because it's a
false justification.

Now I can cheer,
Colomban