[Geany-Devel] Don't pop-up messages/steal focus when in terminal

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sun Apr 21 14:38:33 UTC 2013

On 21 April 2013 22:47, Harold Aling <geany at sait.nl> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Sorry for causing so much commotion. Did not expect this to happen,
> although I also chipped in on the discussion.
>
> Lessons learned: bumping to GTK+ 2.18 (Linux) and GTK+ 2.24 (Windows)
> is a good idea.

Lessons learned, Geany ML threads can run off in some strange directions,
but thats good, it means that people are willing to interact and care about
where its going. :)

> I personally hope that when it becomes obvious that a newer GTK+ on
> Linux can save a lot of time/trouble the "0% of users" don't ruin it
> for the Geany developers. GTK+ 2.24 was released in Januari 2011, so
> it's already over 2 years old [1].
>

> Back to the popup issue? (without mentioning GTK-versions)

Well, sadly its impossible without mentioning them, but to summarise:

1. There seems to be general agreement that a non-dialog notification is a
good idea

2. Matthew has a prototype using gtkinfobar which is the GTK solution for
non-dialog notifications, its what you see in gedit.

3. gtkinfobar only exists in GTK >= 2.18 but Geany still supports 2.16
(sorry but I have to mention that :)

4. I don't remember exactly where Matthews prototype got to, I don't think
there were any real problems with the infobar, more with other stuff which
is feeding the infobar, but that can be checked in the meantime while
waiting for the GTK version upgrade (there I said it again).  I guess it
would be nice if someone(s) offered to update the branch to current Geany
and to iron out any remaining issues.

5. And someone (that person again) who has a windows mingw dev environment
should offer to help checking the windows build with GTK 2.24 and help
updating the nightly build to that too.

6. Finally the unmentionable (GTK version) can then be upgraded :)

7. then the infobar can be merged

I don't think I forgot any steps.  Oh yeah, volunteers are welcome :)

PS and anyone who has a good reason not to do this, please also speak up
now, or forever hold your peace.