[Geany-Devel] Don't pop-up messages/steal focus when in terminal

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Sun Apr 21 01:12:23 UTC 2013

On 13-04-20 06:02 PM, Lex Trotman wrote:
> On 21 April 2013 10:56, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:
>
>> On 13-04-20 05:48 PM, Lex Trotman wrote:
>>
>>> [...]
>>>
>>>   I definitively agree that there's someone/a few people out there, in this
>>>>

>>> The real problem is none of us knows how many actual users there are in
>>> any
>>> particular system configuration.  I am only going on my experience, which
>>> as a contractor at least includes a spread of companies.
>>>
>>> In the past its always been me introducing Geany, but recently I have been
>>> pleasantly surprised to find a few customers already using it on Red Hat.
>>>
>>> Hence my concern to keep support for at least the Red Hat version that is
>>> still in primary support.
>>>

>> But if they're your customers, given your deep familiarity with Geany's
>> source and your likely influence on installed versions of it, could you not
>> backport critical fixes and improvements of which there are very few or run
>> a release closer to the year in which their corporate OS vendor offers
>> support up to for other packages?
>

> Well as I said, some have already installed it before I came along, that
> means that there are more that have Geany and are not my customers.  They
> are the ones I'm talking about supporting.

But really, they have Geany latest, can't install new software, have a
really old GTK+ version, need features from bleeding edge Geany and
can't get you to update them from source or do it themselves?

This sounds like either a completely fictitious or insignificant group
of users to me. If they can't make due with older Geany versions, can't
update their GTK+ environment, but *can* install Geany from sources, I'd
say they're either schizophrenic, lazy, liars or in the 0.001% of total
users. In all cases, IMO, they aren't worth serving for free on my buck.