[Geany-Devel] Don't pop-up messages/steal focus when in terminal

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Thu Apr 18 23:26:33 UTC 2013

On 19 April 2013 09:06, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:

> On 13-04-18 05:16 AM, Thomas Martitz wrote:
>
>> Am 17.04.2013 16:49, schrieb Steven Blatnick:
>>
>>> I've always thought the dialogs should be embedded anyway, which
>>> doesn't steal focus.  What I mean is like gedit does, where at the top
>>> of the document a box appears before line 1 and says "This file has
>>> been modified".  Then, people wouldn't have to press it until they
>>> wanted to since it would be associated with the document directly.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>

>> You will find many people on this list that agree with you (including
>> me). We've had proposals and even a prototype implementation (IIRC) for
>> this but nothing ended up in Geany mainline. But your use case is a
>> strong argument in favor of this. I too find the popup highly annoying.

+1

> If anyone wants to pick up where I left off and run the bikeshed gauntlet,
> the branch is still in the Geany repo (document-messages). It should be
> trivial to update it with the master branch. You'll probably want to check
> the mailing list archives for reference of what the issues were.

IIRC the only issues with the display stuff was the fact that it needs GTK
2.18 and should handle multiple occurrances of the same message without
creating another info bar whilst there is already one for that message.

All that is stopping moving from 2.16 is Windows IIRC.  If someone who has
windows could help Enrico do that then I don't see a problem with moving to
2.18 and using the GTKinfobar displays instead of dialogs.

There were other issues in Matthews change around using notifications, but
that should be a separate change and not part of the decision to use
infobar.