[Geany-Devel] Don't pop-up messages/steal focus when in terminal

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Thu Apr 18 23:06:03 UTC 2013

On 13-04-18 05:16 AM, Thomas Martitz wrote:
> Am 17.04.2013 16:49, schrieb Steven Blatnick:
>> I've always thought the dialogs should be embedded anyway, which
>> doesn't steal focus.  What I mean is like gedit does, where at the top
>> of the document a box appears before line 1 and says "This file has
>> been modified".  Then, people wouldn't have to press it until they
>> wanted to since it would be associated with the document directly.
>>
>> Thanks,
>

> You will find many people on this list that agree with you (including
> me). We've had proposals and even a prototype implementation (IIRC) for
> this but nothing ended up in Geany mainline. But your use case is a
> strong argument in favor of this. I too find the popup highly annoying.

If anyone wants to pick up where I left off and run the bikeshed
gauntlet, the branch is still in the Geany repo (document-messages). It
should be trivial to update it with the master branch. You'll probably
want to check the mailing list archives for reference of what the issues
were.