[Geany-Devel] geany-plugins fail to build with msvc

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Thu Apr 18 03:59:07 UTC 2013

On 18 April 2013 02:46, Dimitar Zhekov <dimitar.zhekov at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Apr 2013 10:29:55 +1000
> Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Note that as I understand it, it would not necessarily work to use a
> > plugin compiled with msvc and a Geany compiled with gcc.  It might,
> > but no guarantee.
>
> All gtk+ code must be compiled with gcc -mms-bitfields under Win~1, so
> any mix should work. The plugins never access Scintilla C++ directly,
> they use Geany's sci_wrappers.c functions.

Thats good, there is also the following warning on the GTK download:

"It is possible to use these packages also with Microsoft's compiler.
However, the DLLs here use the msvcrt.dll run-time library. This means that
also applications that use the DLLs should preferably use the msvcrt.dll
run-time. Specifically, this means that you should not use newer versions
of the Microsoft compiler than Visual C++ 6 without knowing exactly what
you are doing."

You were warned :)