[Geany-Devel] Plugins sharing resources

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Wed Apr 10 21:49:41 UTC 2013

On 11 April 2013 02:25, Dimitar Zhekov <dimitar.zhekov at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Apr 2013 20:20:55 +1100
> Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Matthew has pointed out on IRC that the markers and indicators are per
> > scintilla object, not global.  He has a suggested alternative API which
> he
> > will post after its tested.
>
> On Tue, 9 Apr 2013 23:20:16 +0100
> WILLIAM FRASER <william.fraser at virgin.net> wrote:
>
> > What do people think about these options? Does anyone have any other
> ideas?
>
> This was discussed before. At that time Lex was agains global resource
> mapping and wanted per-sci resource allocation instead. I will only
> repeat my suggestions:
>
> 1. Check how many resources we are using. If they are below the global
> limit or slighly above it, per-sci makes no sense.

It makes sense when the resource is only available per sci.

There is no "global" set of markers, just that Geany always set up the same
set for its own use in each sci.

Even if a plugin uses the same markers in each sci, regardless of language
or other settings, it still has to set them up and release them on each
sci.  It is more likely though that a plugin will only use markers on a few
sci.

So the plugin will have to be allocating the resource per sci anyway, and
it will need to track it, yes.

> 2. If they are above the limit, check how much per-sci will improve
> the things. If it's less than, say, 15%, per-sci makes no sense.
>
> 3. If per-sci still seems reasonable, provide some logical to physical
> mapping, so that the plugins woudn't need to remember each allocated
> resource separately for each sci.

Unless they are set and forget uses, the plugin still has to remember them
to be able to use them.